Tuesday, September 30, 2008


Today the language challenge vs food capture starts. Our man from Moscow had been reduce to gesticulating wildly and pointing at various food sources in shops and delis in an effort to get fed.

After 45 minutes I had 'captured' 3 peaches and a packet of 6 rather tasty lemon muffins. It has to be said I'd also had to pass up on several stalls selling hot and good looking cheese and ham paninis but how to order.

The alphabet is different. The language barrier absolute. Only those items in reach of my finger tips could be obtained and never before had I imagined that I would be rendered as mute as a red faced Harry Enfield type holiday maker on a sunny beach holiday. Not even speaking slowly would conquer this divide.

So to the gap toothed and amused Russian lady who finally twigged what I wanted I offer my thanks !

So what of dinner I hear you ask ?

I'm working on the pronuciation for 'beer' as we speak. Hopefully this will suffice !

On another note I was woken by a loud explosion at 5am outside the window. I'm staying on the 12th floor so as you can imagine it was rather disturbing. In my sleepy haze flashes of Armageddon and urban warfare made my cower beneath my blanket.

Fortunately for this write it seems to have been a firework.

Why it was let off at 5am I shall never know.

But I live to write another entry.

'til then I bid you adieu.

No comments: