Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Customs, as HSBC have often told us, vary around the world. And I've just had this brought home to me by the fact that one of my colleagues has finally whispered in my ear that my habit of whisting has caused something of a stir in the office.
In Russia to whistle indoors is considered deeply bad form because it means that the person causing the offense is about to loose all their money. It also spreads the bad luck around.

So, suitable chargrined I thought it worth checking up on any other customs that I may have inadvertidely infringed.

It seems that I've upset several restaurant owners by not handing over my coat to the attendant. This dates back to the days when diners would come in from the cold covered in ice and snow. To drape onces riding cloak over the back of ones chair would therefore fill the establishment with a slushy mess - hardly the done thing.

When giving flowers one should only give odd numbers. Unless that person is dead. Pretty clear I think and not one that I've upset anyone yet with !
Before leaving the house for even a couple of days, all members should sit in silence and contemplate life for a moment.

Then finally, shaking hands while wearing gloves is utterly unacceptable - even if it's many degrees below zero. The only exception is if you are a person of such extreme power that you extend your hand in the intended 'shake this you insignificant insect'. there's a rather good story about glove wearing and indeed shaking between a former head of my former agency and someone else also rather senior within the same company.

I'll tell it to anyone who knows me - and it rewards every retelling !

No comments: